Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hello Kitty Party

While people were busy planning Christmas dinners, picking up presents, I was running around picking up party supplies, cutting out Hello Kitty faces, gluing and sticking bows. I think I mentioned here that my older daughter was turning five, and she asked to have a Hello Kitty everything. I wasn't too crazy about the idea at first, but I quickly got sucked into the cute world of this special kitty. I decided early on that unlike years past, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible as far as food goes. I also wanted the party to be adorable, but to be as little stress as possible. I think it turned out very nice….


My absolute favorite DIY project were the plastic cups. I played with different ideas of what I could  do to spruce them up, and somehow the bow just happened, and it was quick and lovely - literally took about 30 mins to tie all 25 bows and stick them on. At first, I bought the 3D stickers on Etsy to just stick on the cups (again thought of keeping things simple), but the scale was all wrong. I started playing with the ribbon that I already had, and before you knew it I had several bows that I stuck the stickers on, I used mounting tape to stick them to the cups. The paper straws I purchased on Amazon. Adding bows really took the cups to another level of cuteness.



Making these Hello Kitty faces were a fun and easy project. I just traced and cut out the shape using card stock paper, then hubby drew the perfect bow, again I cut that out, and the birthday girl herself helped cut the whiskers. I used my hot glue gun to stick them on lollipop sticks, and I used mashmallow as stumps.:-)




This was my first attempt at cake pops, and they turned out pretty good. I used white chocolate to cover up a red velvet cake. The chocolate seized up on me, but I kept on trying, I left it over the warm water in the bowl that I was melting it in. I took out bits of the warm chocolate that I flattened in my hand, then rolled the cake balls that I had in the freezer for about 10 minutes in it…sprinkled them with some pink sugar, and, voila! The kids, and big kids had a blast eating them.


My almost two year old could have probably eaten that whole tower if I left her. She just set up a station by that table, sneaking them into her mouth. All the pictures from the first part of the night of her, had her mouth full of clementines.


I was so busy worrying about the design of the cake and having the cake designer get the perfect shade of pink that I forgot to have the birthday girl's name added to the cake. 


For the most important person of the party, hugged me the afternoon after setting up everything, and said, "Mama thank you for making the best decorations I ever seen." Now, that, was all this mommy needed.

(Images: Fatou Bah)

5 comments:

Nao said...

wow! amazingly beautiful! :)

Fatou said...

Thank you so much Nao! :)

Marian said...

darling you did a great job on this party theme! I love how all the details come together. Miss J must have had a ball!

Marian said...

p.s love love love her compliment on your decorations!

Fatou said...

Yes her compliment was the best part and seeing the twinkle in her eye seeing all the Hello Kitty details. Thanks for stopping by love!